Recognition of Guests - welcomed several guests in attendance.
Commendation of Students - expressed pride in the quality of students recognized at the recent Manatee County Cotillion, Take Stock in Children celebration, Kappa Alpha Phi Fraternity banquet, and Teen Success event.
Johnson Middle School Entry in the Children's Parade - commended Johnson Middle School students for their winning entry in the children's parade and subsequent offer to be part of the Magic Music Days at Disney. She requested assistance for those students to visit Disney, possibly through a community project.
Brown v. Board of Education Production - requested that teachers inform students and parents of this production (on May 6 at 7:00 p.m.), and if possible, to provide transportation to those who wish to attend.
Letter from Nick Leduc at Kinnan Elementary School - urged people to donate items needed to Kinnan Elementary school for a building project.
Board Representation - reported on the happenings during his recent trip to Tallahassee regarding Legislative issues.
Summer Band Camps - requested that Superintendent Dearing have a staff member respond to a recent communication to Board Members regarding Summer Band Camps sponsored by Keyboards and More.
Engineering News Record - provided Bill Horton (Assistant Superintendent for School Support Services) with information about mold in construction from the Engineering News Record.
Central Florida Public School Boards Consortium - said the members of this consortium seem to have many of the same issues the School Board has. He queried whether or not the Board has an interest in pursuing a relationship with this organization.
There was consensus to proceed toward exploring the next step in the procedure of membership into this organization.
1. JROTC (Junior Reserved Officer Training Corps) Military Ball - made several complimentary remarks about the JROTC Military Ball held last week.
2. Palmetto Children's Parade - made positive remarks about this recent event.
3. Take Stock In Children - said the recent event for graduating seniors was a very heartwarming ceremony.
4. Budget Talks at Various Schools - noted that six budget teams have been going to the schools and making presentations on the budget status of the school system.
5. Manatee Matters - said he recently met with several local business leaders in the first of monthly scheduled luncheons with the Superintendent and local business leaders, which will be referred to as Manatee Matters.
6. Joint Meeting with the Board of County Commissioners - requested that each Board Member inform Mrs. Cascaddan (Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent) whether they can attend a Joint Work Session on May 19, from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
7. Laptops for Learning Task Force - thanked Tina Barrios (Supervisor of Instructional Technology) for her position as Chair of this task force, which presented a comprehensive document regarding the important role laptops will be playing in the education of students.
8. Setting the Pace Award - announced that Mary Corbin, Family and Parent Involvement Specialist, has been named as this year's recipients of the Junior League of Manatee County's She's Setting the Pace Award. This is an annual award honoring two women in Manatee County who have overcome a significant obstacle to success in achieving professional and personal goals.
9. Lee Middle School Music Program - announced that Lee Middle School competed in the Star Music Festival in Atlanta, Georgia and brought home the Gold medal for our District. The Swinging Strings and Advanced Orchestra beat out all the other middle and high schools performing.
10. Consent Agenda - Superintendent Dearing reviewed the reasons that constitutes placement of an action item on the Consent Agenda of the Business Meeting, in response to the issue raised during Public Comments.