CONSENT ITEMS - (CONTINUED)
Approval of Purchase(s) Bids Over $100,000.00 - (CONTINUED)
1. Approved of the Modifications to the Manatee County Student Progression Plan for the 2004-2005 school year. Changes include modifying the system for determining end of the year grades in middle school, changing the calculation of the middle school wheel grade from pass/fail to a numeric grade, and changing the middle school promotion criteria. (Copy of Modifications can be found in the Supplemental Minute Book.)
1. Approved of Final Order for Student Expulsion March 8, 2004.
1. Approved of the Monthly Financial Statements for March 2004.
2. Approved of the Budget Amendments for March 2004.
3. Approved to establish school internal checking accounts for Virgil Mills Elementary School and Dan Nolan Middle School. The banking services agreement approved by the School Board on July 16, 2001 covers all bank accounts for the District including school internal accounts.
4. Approved that the identified District tangible personal property - Obsolete Computers - be declared surplus and the items disposed in accordance with Florida Statute 274. The Delta Kappa Gama Society International will refurbish and provide support of the obsolete computers. These obsolete computers will be given to students at Samoset Elementary School through an educational incentive program. (Copy of list can be found in the Supplemental Minute Book.)
5. Approved that the identified District tangible personal property at Manatee Technical Institute be declared surplus and items disposed in accordance with Florida Statute 274. These items will be sold as scrap: #90609 1987 Ford Ltd Sedan - $1,000.00 and #90610 1987 Ford Ltd Sedan - $1,000.00.
1 - 3. Approved Human Resources List and Addendum as presented, copies of which can be found in the Supplemental Minute Book.
4. Approved to revise the Reading Coach job description. The job description is being revised to add "appropriate grade level experience preferred." (Original job description approved on July 29, 2002.)
A listing of Leaves and information regarding 2003-2004 School Advisory Council Membership were presented to the Board for its information.
1. Berniece Scott (member of Manatee County Community Action Team) - said she would continue to strive until every child in our community will reach the goal he or she is capable of achieving.
2. Marcia Detar (Substitute Teacher at Harllee Middle School) - spoke in support of the academic program, and the quality of personnel and students at Harllee Middle School.
3. Tanya Burnham (Substitute Teacher at Harllee Middle School) - encouraged parents to refrain from making judgment about Harllee Middle based on rumor. She recommended letting children make decisions by themselves about this school.
4. James Ferguson - asked that every senior that failed the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) but met every other requirement of graduation be allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies, and that all third graders who failed FCAT be allowed to be promoted into fourth grade, and that the Board give Island Middle School a provisional one year charter.
5. Amy Stoyles (Teacher at Harllee Middle School) - thanked the Board for the current redistricting plan that allows the school an opportunity to continue effective academic programs for all children.
6. Karl C. Wehr - spoke regarding a grievance he had filed as a Substitute Teacher and requested the Board grant him a Hearing on issues raised in the grievance.
He brought with him a revised Grievance and a copy of the May 3, 2004 letter to the Superintendent of Schools, along with attachments.
Mr. Barnebey said that Rob Shapiro (Staff Attorney) had reviewed the grievance, and it would be appropriate for Mr. Barnebey to review it to make a recommendation on whether the Board should hold a Hearing based on the request presented to the Board this evening.