BOARD COMMENTS - (CONTINUED)
Commendation of Senator Mike Bennett - expressed appreciation for Mr. Bennett's efforts regarding District Cost Differential on behalf of Manatee County during this Legislative Session.
Wakeland Elementary School Production - noted the annual production of Annie Junior will be held this Friday and Saturday evenings.
High Tea Activity at Abel Elementary School - said he hoped to attend this event tomorrow.
School Activities and Functions - thanked schools for invitations to Board Members and made assurance that Board Members will attend as many functions as possible.
Central Florida Schools Coalition - provided a report regarding the district becoming a member of this organization.
Graduation Ceremony Participation - said that although the Governor has not yet signed the pending state law regarding the SAT/ACT, there seems to be Board consensus that this district will recognize and participate in that program.
1. Legislative Session Update - noted there is a Legislative Session update scheduled for the Board on May 24. In addition, the Florida School Boards Association Spring Conference in Tampa, on June 11, offers a Legislative Update session.
2. Request for Special Meeting - requested a special meeting on Monday, May 10, at 6:30 p.m., for the sole purpose of language to settle the matter of Rosenauer v. School Board of Manatee County, with a Special Meeting to follow.
Mr. Barnebey requested an attorney client conference Monday evening at 6:30 p.m.
3. Middle School Redistricting - encouraged Board Members not to take personally the comments made (under Public Comments).
4. Science Fair Triad Agreement - spoke about his goal to enhance the Science Fair program for Manatee Community College, Manatee County Foundations and the schools.
5. Budget Teams - reported that Budget Teams visited School Advisory Council/Parent Teacher Association/Parent Teacher Organization meetings throughout March and April, and received wonderful feedback from parents about the information.
6. Recommendation re Redistricting - emphasized that County Commissioner Ron Gettmen, is not the person responsible for making a recommendation for middle school redistricting, and he has forwarded those recommendations to Dr. Dearing.
7. Student Recognitions - thanked the Board for taking the time to recognize students at this evening's Board Meeting.
8. Strategic Plan - said staff is in the process of developing a strategic plan, which is the reason for the community meetings and open space community forums scheduled this week at various locations. He provided further information about the meetings and the process.
9. Central Bradenton School - pointed out that at the most recent Sales Tax Accountability Meeting a chart was shown that outlined the year-by-year commitment of the sales tax monies. In 2005-06 an elementary school is indicated in central/west Bradenton, not specifically central Bradenton.
10. Immunizations - reported that he and Sheriff Wells recently recorded a Public Service Announcement regarding immunizations. He noted that last year when the report was given regarding the percentage of students who were immunized, the percentage was only a snapshot in time. Dr. Dearing said immunizations are a six-month long process, and so when the snapshot is taken during that first part of that process, it does not accurately reflect the number of students who complete the immunization process. He encouraged parents to begin the process earlier, so that it is completed by the time the snapshot is taken.
11. Board of County Commissioners Meeting regarding Possible Land Transaction in Palmetto - informed the Board that the issue of possibly switching parcels of land in Palmetto would be on the agenda of the Board of County Commission meeting scheduled tomorrow morning. He said he would represent the Board at that meeting, as this may potentially be an option for locating the replacement Palmetto Elementary School.