1. Administrative Assignments for the 2004-2005 School Year - called on senior staff to introduce the following administrators: Tom Wailand, Principal of Moody Elementary School; Sue Downs, Assistant Director for Industrial Programs at Manatee Technical Institute (MTI); Michael Rushing, Director of Criminal Justice Academy at MTI; Michele Romeo, Assistant Principal of Harllee Middle; Wally Hunter, Assistant Principal of King Middle; James Mennes, Assistant Principal of Johnson Middle; and Mary Ann Gallagher-Duffy, Assistant Principal of Sugg Middle. The school district's new Public Information Officer, Margi Nanney, was introduced by Karen Cascaddan, Executive Assistant to the Superintendent.
2. Myakka City Elementary - said senior staff was present at the school today and this evening addressing the community and answering questions. The district is also providing assistance to Charlotte County School District.
3. School Shelters - noted that eight (8) schools were opened as shelters and 3,853 people were housed.
4. Congressman Jim Davis - No Child Left Behind School Board Workshop will be held on Wednesday, August 18, beginning at 1:30 p.m. in the School Board Chambers.
5. Military Honors - requested additional clarification from the Board Members regarding recognition of our military men and women.
SCHOOL BOARD WORKFLOW CHART
Board Members commented regarding revisions and additions to the School Board Workflow Chart.
(A copy of the current Workflow Chart can be found in the Superintendent's Office.)
NOTICE OF INTENT TO DEVELOP A RULE: REVISED SCHOOL BOARD POLICIES & PROCEDURES MANUAL
Under Florida Statute 120.54, the Board has rule making authority to approve policies (rules) to implement or interpret the specified powers and duties granted by enabling statutes. Under Florida Statute 1001.41(2) the School Board may adopt policies and procedures necessary for the daily business operation of the School Board. In July 2001, the Board adopted a new Policies & Procedures Manual, which replaced all prior versions of the School Board Policy Manual.
This advertisement will ensure our compliance with provisions under the Administrative Procedures Act. Several legislative changes have occurred, which require revision of the manual to ensure compliance with current law. Also, procedures are being reviewed by staff to make certain that the manual reflects current practices.
Cost of legal advertisement not to exceed $200.00.
The Superintendent recommends approval of the Notice of Intent to Develop a Rule: Revised School Board Policies & Procedures Manual.
Mr. Miller moved, with a second by Mrs. Harvey, to approve of the Notice of Intent to Develop a Rule: Revised School Board Policies & Procedures Manual. Motion carried 5-0.
APPROVAL OF THE WAIVER OF CONTRACT LANGUAGE FOR SELECTED ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS
Article I of the Teachers' Negotiated Agreement between the School Board and Manatee Education Association provides for waivers of the contract language provided there is agreement on the part of 75% of the affected teachers, the School Board, and administration. The teachers and administration at Stewart, Orange Ridge, Bayshore, Tillman, Kinnan, and Palma Sola Elementary Schools have requested that the schools be permitted to modify the usual 50-minute planning period.
Abel Elementary School is requesting a waiver of the amount paid Team Leaders in order to permit the school to add another Team Leader position.
The waivers are provided for in the negotiated agreement; have been requested and approved by the teachers and administration at the affected schools; and have been approved by the Executive Committee of the Manatee Education Association.
The Superintendent recommends that the Board approve the waiver of the contract language for the selected elementary schools through the end of the 2004-05 school year.
Mr. Brunner moved, with a second by Mr. Miller, to approve of the Waiver of Contract Language for Abel, Bayshore, Kinnan, Orange Ridge Bullock, Palma Sola, Rowlett, Stewart, and Tillman Elementary Schools. Motion carried 5-0.
(Copy of Waivers can be found in the Supplemental Minute Book).
There being no further business to come before the Board, Chairman Simmons recessed the meeting at 9:45 p.m. and reconvened for the Attorney-Client Conference in the Superintendent's Conference Room at 9:57 p.m.