1. Berniece Scott - stated concerns regarding the process used for busing students. She addressed the need of a school to service the children living in the “central corridor” area.
Mrs. Harvey moved, with a second by Mr. Brunner, to approve the redistricting procedures for Braden River High School, including the 9th and 10th graders, as well as the previously accepted grandfathering procedures. (Outline of Procedures can be found in the Supplemental Minute Book.)
APPROVAL OF RESOLUTION 04-11 FOR ADDITIONAL MANATEE TECHNICAL INSTITUTE (MTI) EAST FACILITY
Manatee Technical Institute would like to participate in a partnership grant available through the Department of Education, Public Education Capital Outlay and Department Service Trust Fund in order to build a new Health Occupations and Public Service Training Facility adjacent to the current MTI East Campus.
The new facility would allow room for the expansion of critical local and statewide workforce demand programs such as surgical technician, medical coder/biller and optometric assisting, in addition to providing a permanent facility for criminal justice, fire science and medical assistant programs.
The total cost of the project would be $5,319,776.00. The Florida Department of Education, Public Education Capital Outlay, and Department Service Trust Fund would pay for 60 percent, or $3,191,866.00, of the estimated total project cost of $5,319,776.00. The School District would be responsible for funding the remaining 40 percent, or $2,127,910.00.
Note: The School District would only be responsible for the 40 percent commitment if the funds come through from the Department of Education.
The Superintendent recommends approval of Resolution 04-11 for additional Manatee Technical Institute East Facility.
Mr. Brunner moved, with a second by Mr. Kinnan, to approve of Resolution 04-11 for the Additional Manatee Technical Institute East Facility in partnering with the State Department of Education with proposed funding for Fiscal Year 2005/2006 subject to funding availability. Motion carried 5-0. (Copy of Resolution can be found in the Supplemental Minute Book.)
APPROVAL OF AN AMENDMENT TO THE AGREEMENT BETWEEN SCHROEDER MANATEE RANCH (SMR) AND SCHOOL BOARD REGARDING PURCHASE OF PROPERTY FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL “J”
The School Board of Manatee County approved the Agreement for Transfer of Property for a School Site with SMR (“Agreement”) for Elementary School “J” on April 19, 2004.
Due to construction timing and additional development issues, an amendment to the Agreement has been requested by SMR for School Board approval. Specific amendments provide for additional time for completion of infrastructure improvements related to the School. The amendments also address the provision by SMR of a North/South Connector Road west of the school site. The provision of a 30-foot wide landscaping, a 10-foot wide utility easement on School Board property adjacent to the East/West Road is also further addressed. Additionally, the Amendment addresses the possible installation of traffic lights, if needed and warranted, on the East/West Roadway Lorraine Road (an SMR expense) and at the North/South Roadway (a School Board expense). The Agreement would be revised to provide a penalty for SMR if SMR does not meet its construction deadlines regarding the East/West Roadway. Finally, a signage easement is being proposed for the Southwest corner of the property for installation of a community sign. Mike Pendley, Planner, has indicated that if the amended contract provisions are met, there should be no impact on school construction or opening.
There is no additional monetary impact.
The Superintendent recommends approval of the Amendment to Agreement for Transfer of Property for a School Site.
Mr. Brunner moved, with a second by Mr. Miller, to approve of the Amendment to Agreement for Transfer of Property for Elementary School Site “J”. Motion carried 5-0. (Copy of Amendment to Agreement can be found in the Supplemental Minute Book.)