Florida Retirement System
Changes for Members First Enrolled in the FRS on or after July 1, 2011
• Vesting for Pension Plan benefit eligibility will be after the completion of 8 years of creditable service.
• The average final compensation (AFC) used in calculating retirement benefits will be the highest 8 fiscal years of salary.
• The definition of “normal retirement date” is changed:
- - - Members of the Regular Class, Senior Management Service Class and Elected Officers’ Class will reach their
normal retirement date:
a. The first day of the month the member reaches age 65 and is vested; or
b. The first day of the month following the month the member completes 33 years of creditable service, regardless of age before age 65.
- - -Members of the Special Risk Class will reach their normal retirement date:
a. The first day of the month the member reaches age 60 and is vested; or
b. The first day of the month following the month the member completes 30 years of creditable service in the Special Risk Class, regardless of age before age 60; or
c. The first day of the month following the date the member reaches age 57 and completes 30 years of service comprised of Special Risk Class service and up to 4 years wartime military service purchased under Section 121.111, Florida Statutes.
For further questions, please call the Bureau of Retirement Calculations at (888) 738-2252 or local (850) 488-6491.